Providing solutions for all types of Sediment Remediation projects
Many factors go into the decision for a remedial design of contaminated sediments. CETCO can assist engineers with design evaluations and provide technical assistance with modeling cap life or potential stabilization or solidification mix designs. Regardless of the remedy, our technical team is able to assist.
Traditional remediation methods for contaminated sediment, such as dredging and sand caps, may provide widely varying results due to environmental and operational factors. Active capping may offer advantages over these methods, and continue to gain acceptance worldwide.
Sediment capping designs include a chemical isolation layer of material over the contaminated sediment, reducing the potential for contaminant exposure by preventing resuspension and transport to other non-affected areas. Traditionally, a thick layer of clean sand served as the chemical isolation layer. While thick sand caps may function adequately in certain situations the thickness of sand required is not feasible for some sites. Reactive Core Mat® (RCM) provides a highly adsorptive attenuation layer reducing the overall thickness requirement in the cap design. CETCO offers RCM with various media, depending on the contaminants of concern.
In situ treatment
In situ stabilization allows for treatment of the contaminated sediments in place, reducing contaminant leaching into nearby water sources. Treating contaminated sediments on-site alleviates off-site transportation and disposal concerns and conserves landfill capacity, replacement fill, and fuel used in transportation.
Advantages over traditional Sediment Remediation methods
- Better consistency of protection
- No inaccuracy of mass removal techniques
- Eliminates effects of mass removal upon downstream areas
- Requires less space than traditional sand caps
- Lower cost alternative to dredging and disposal
REACTIVE CORE MAT® ORGANOCLAY
REACTIVE CORE MAT™ is a patented permeable composite mat consisting of reactive material(s) encapsulated in a non-woven core matrix bound between two geotextiles. The upper geotextile is a needle-punched, non-woven fabric that is heat-laminated to a matrix of nonwoven fibers needle-punched into a woven geotextile. Through its innovative processing, RCM can combine two active materials, if required.
ORGANOCLAY PM-200 is a proprietary granular adsorption media effective in removing oils, greases other non-aqueous phase liquids (NAPL) and other dissolved high molecular weight/low solubility organics. ORGANOCLAY PM-200 is specially formulated for use in the following applications; Bulk Sediment Capping and in Permeable Reactive Barriers (PRBs).
ORGANOCLAY PM-199 is a proprietary granular adsorption media effective in removing oils, greases other non-aqueous phase liquids (NAPL) and other dissolved high molecular weight/low solubility organics. Organoclay PM-199 is specially formulated for use in the following applications; Organophilic Filtration Media, Bulk Sediment Capping and as a Solidification/Stabilization additive.
ORGANOCLAY MRM is a sulfur-impregnated organophilic clay granular filtration media that adsorbs non-aqueous phase liquids (NAPL) and dissolved low-solubility organics. It also sequesters mercury and arsenic from water.
REACTIVE CORE MAT® APATITE
REACTIVE CORE MAT APATITE is a permeable composite of geotextiles and a mineral that adsorbs and sequesters certain metals from water.
BENTOBLOCK is natural sodium bentonite screened to 3/8 inch (0.95 cm) to 3/4 inch (1.90 cm) in size. BENTOBLOCK is certified to NSF/ANSI Standard 60, Drinking Water Treatment Chemicals - Health Effects.
- BENTOMAT AS Case Study: Capping High Speed Railroad Zaragoza Spain 167 KB
- BENTOMAT Case Study: Capping High Speed Railroad Cordoba Spain 1179 KB
- BENTOMAT SDN Case Study: NJ Brownfield Remediation Project 118 KB
- Brochure: Environmental Products Overview 4358 KB
- ORGANOCLAY and BENTOMAT ST Case Study: West Doane Lake 179 KB
- ORGANOCLAY Case Study: Atlantic Woods Industries 362 KB
- ORGANOCLAY Case Study: Grand Calumet River 184 KB
- ORGANOCLAY Case Study: Island End River MGP 205 KB
- ORGANOCLAY Case Study: Port of Portland Superfund Site 931 KB
- REACTIVE CORE MAT with Apatite and GAC Case Study: Zidell Barge Company 733 KB
- REACTIVE CORE MAT with GAC Case Study: Stryker Bay 180 KB
- REACTIVE CORE MAT with ORGANOCLAY Case Study: Bros Superfund Site 548 KB
- REACTIVE CORE MAT with ORGANOCLAY Case Study: Collins Cove MGP 630 KB
- REACTIVE CORE MAT with ORGANOCLAY Case Study: Harbor Point New York 164 KB
- REACTIVE CORE MAT with ORGANOCLAY Case Study: McCormick and Baxter Superfund 860 KB
- REACTIVE CORE MAT with ORGANOCLAY Case Study: Meco Drive Ditch 834 KB
- REACTIVE CORE MAT with ORGANOCLAY Case Study: Pine Street Canal 435 KB